Dear Cather Friends,

By now, I hope you've received your first 2018 issue of the Willa Cather Review, which is a celebration of the centenary of My Antonia.  I think Daryl Palmer and Tracy Tucker have done an amazing and revelatory job with their interview/essay with Antonette Willa Skupa Turner, the always voluble 97-year-old granddaughter of Anna Sadilek Pavelka, Cather's prototype for Antonia.  And I hope you'll enjoy the 30 brief "Antonia stories" that a wide variety of readers wrote for us about why this 1918 novel is so important to them.  As those 30 stories came in to be edited, I was fascinated by their variety and intensity, and I began to wish I could write an "Antonia story" of my own.  I hope that many of you will feel the same way!

And so--we Willa Cather Review editors decided to invite our readers to send us their own brief "Antonia stories."  Throughout this centenary year, we will publish those stories at the Willa Cather Foundation's website.  We hope you will help us out by sending your own  stories, as Microsoft Word attachments, to me at [log in to unmask]  And please encourage your friends, colleagues, and students who love this extraordinary American novel to send their stories, as well.  I can't wait to read what all of you have to say.  If you have any questions, please be in touch.

The two remaining 2018 issues of the Willa Cather Review will also celebrate My Antonia.  An early summer issue, edited by Robert Thacker, will explore new scholarship on the novel.
Then, at year's end, an issue edited by Thomas Gallagher will feature new work produced by creative artists in response to My Antonia (the call for submissions for this issue is attached; feel free to circulate it).  Our first 2019 issue will be edited by Steve Shively; he will welcome submissions on any Cather-related topic.

We have now completed our first year of publication under our new title.  As always, we are eager to hear responses from you.  And we invite you to send us your best work for possible publication.  We look forward to hearing from you--and hope to see many of you at the many special events celebrating the My Antonia centenary (for a schedule of these events, go to www.MA100.org).

Best regards,

Ann Romines
Issue Editor, Willa Cather Review

P.S.  I wrote this note with the assumption that most, if not all, of you are members of the Willa Cather Foundation and receive the Willa Cather Review as one of your membership benefits.  But if you aren't yet a member, you may also read the WCR at the Cather Foundation website (www.willacather.org) where all issues are available for download.