Print

Dear Kelsey,
When I read your posting asking for help finding a more readable copy of the
Walter F. White May 1, 1926 The Spotlight column, where he states that
Cather is ³an American novelist who comes pretty close to being the best
writer in America,² I decided to check out the newspapers.com database, to
which I subscribe through Ancestry.com.  The newspapers.com database has one
of the all-time worst search functions I¹ve ever experienced, but using its
publication time delimiter, I found not only the May 1, 1926 article, but
also one on May 15, 1926 where White bemoans the fact that so many writers
of quality, including Willa Cather, have much lower books sales than they
should.

I made PDF¹s of both articles and have attached them to this reply.  As you
will see, neither article image is great, but they are both more readable
than the one you had retrieved from ProQuest.  If you make liberal use of
the enlarge button using a PDF reader application, you should be able to
make out most of the words in these two articles.

In addition, I found and attached PDFs of two additional Pittsburgh Courier
articles where Cather is mentioned, one of which is a 1932 book review of
³Obscure Destinies.²

The author of The Spotlight column, Walter F. White, is quite an impressive
and fascinating person.  You¹ve probably already found this brief
information piece on White that¹s part of the Teaching Eleanor Roosevelt
Project, but I¹ll include the link below for anyone else who may be
interested.

Teaching Eleanor Roosevelt Project
Walter F. White (1893 ­ 1955)
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www2.gwu.edu_-7Eerpapers_teachinger_glossary_white-2Dwalter.cfm&d=DwIFAw&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=1P1U_QmwwektPDtD1M1foXXGqUzLgygf16Nt7kNKpE0&m=6KGmL7R5585XSITEVT7qtki3-MYayXoroFRMuQGzuyo&s=nSbXQXFZi1ljjnhC8fZax4VfEISW93c7DtrK0J6p3X8&e=

According to the Wikipedia entry on Walter Francis White, he had a close
friendship with Alfred A. Knopf.

"Through his cultural interests and his close friendships with white
literary power brokers Carl Van Vechten
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Carl-5FVan-5FVechten&d=DwIFAw&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=1P1U_QmwwektPDtD1M1foXXGqUzLgygf16Nt7kNKpE0&m=6KGmL7R5585XSITEVT7qtki3-MYayXoroFRMuQGzuyo&s=JfCHi0KWbHM6g_zJnOEt0qhIRK1sJFcWLIO42UJOJ2Q&e= >  and Alfred A. Knopf
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Alfred-5FA.-5FKnopf&d=DwIFAw&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=1P1U_QmwwektPDtD1M1foXXGqUzLgygf16Nt7kNKpE0&m=6KGmL7R5585XSITEVT7qtki3-MYayXoroFRMuQGzuyo&s=4p63GUBbSrZVuz9m-CeAj5E1M6NjmTFznMs_CGXCatQ&e= > , White was one of the
founders of the "New Negro" cultural flowering. Popularly known as the
Harlem Renaissance <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Harlem-5FRenaissance&d=DwIFAw&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=1P1U_QmwwektPDtD1M1foXXGqUzLgygf16Nt7kNKpE0&m=6KGmL7R5585XSITEVT7qtki3-MYayXoroFRMuQGzuyo&s=4n1n9XBFL3eCHdDb39V8-mvE2oq7-elFjaU0wNjxgag&e= > , the
period was one of intense literary and artistic production. Harlem became
the center of black American intellectual and artistic life. It attracted
creative people from across the nation, as did New York City in general.²

Wikipedia entry on Walter F. White:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Walter-5FFrancis-5FWhite&d=DwIFAw&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=1P1U_QmwwektPDtD1M1foXXGqUzLgygf16Nt7kNKpE0&m=6KGmL7R5585XSITEVT7qtki3-MYayXoroFRMuQGzuyo&s=7m-QN6eKMd-9gf0qmmT0yNR4Ben7o9yoE0DGNsp41w0&e=

Walter F. White¹s 1924 novel  ³The Fire in the Flint² was published by
Knopf:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.worldcat.org_title_fire-2Din-2Dthe-2Dflint_oclc_3477128&d=DwIFAw&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=1P1U_QmwwektPDtD1M1foXXGqUzLgygf16Nt7kNKpE0&m=6KGmL7R5585XSITEVT7qtki3-MYayXoroFRMuQGzuyo&s=PibLn5UspDnp0-EvSYMvb5Q2hNoAXz5ZUHoUvjNUKb8&e=

I hope you¹ll find the text in these PDFs readable.

Nancy Picchi